Saturday, April 21, 2007

Brook Arts Center damaged by flood

It's Saturday morning and I'm in my basement performing some delayed triage on my flood damage. Three hours and I'm just finished opening things and letting the water drain out. My wife is a crafter and lost a lot of materials, even though we had most of it in plastic tubs. Probably a few hundred dollars in real damage plus some sentimental value and a lot of sweat equity as we continue to clean and disinfect.

But this dirty, miserable job reminded me that so many people in Bound Brook, Manville and the surrounding area are far worse off than we are here in Parsippany, and a lot of them still can't get back to their homes, let alone start their own cleanup.

Staying on point, I wanted to make sure the theatrical community knew that the recently renovated Brook Arts Center took another hard hit. Devastated by Hurricane Floyd, Gerry Appel spent years restoring this magnificent, historic old vaudeville house, and only recently started putting shows on there.

Here's a link to a Courier News video that shows some of the damage, and includes a lengthy interview with Gerry.
http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=video

Hope the link works. I'm still getting used to the technology here at Jersey Stages.

I don't think he's quite back to square one, but he's going to need some help. If you have any suggestions, post them here and maybe we can find a way to lend him a hand.

As promised, later today I'll post a Review Preview of "When Something Wonderful Ends," which I caught last night at Playwrights Theatre in Madison.

No comments: