Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Review preview preview: The Miracle Worker

It's a long story, but although I saw Paper Mill's "The Miracle Worker" opening night, my review won't run for more than two weeks. So it's not actually written yet.

And I'll probably see two more plays and write their reviews before I get around to writing "Miracle Worker" up.

I know what I think. I just haven't thought it through a keyboard. But since you have to know, I'll give you this much:

Pretty good.
Suprisingly effective use of the entire stage, something that's alays a problem here for shows better seen in a smaller space.
Cast was fine all around.
But is it one of those productions I go around and tell my friends, "Hey, you gotta go see this"? Not really. It's always an inspiring story to witness, and I've never seen it done better. But I learned nothing new, nor did I see any performances that had to be seen.
So my friends don't need to be paying Paper Mill prices when they can see this wonderful play the next time it plays for $15 at a nearby community theater, which it undoubtably will soon.

Friday I'm at Playwrights Theatre for "Flying Crows." Saturday I'm at Princeton for "Me, Myself and I." Sunday I have two stories to write before I go to a Super Bowl Party.

So glad my schedule has finally let up a bit.

No comments: