Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Forum Theatre to close Aug. 25

I'm a little late with this news but sad to report the Forum Theatre is closing Aug. 25 with the final performance of "Stuart Little."

I haven't been there in some time but remember some fine productions there in the early 1990s, including "Minnie's Boys," when Vicki Tripido was trodding the boards there. Since then, I've concentrated more on North Jersey than Central Jersey, but with my geographic focus evolving (more on that soon), I was looking forward to catching up with Peter Loewy and his family-owned and operated shop.

I found an article online from CMD Media, which mails shoppers in the area (never heard of them before), citing declining box office, increased success of outside ventures (including their productions of "The Kid from Brooklyn: The Danny Kaye Story," about which I recall reading some positive reviews).

It also cites the curious problem of declining media coverage and reviews. Sure, blame it on the media. I know this: I get press release sfrom as far away as the East Lynne Theatre Company in Cape May, but I never get anything from the Forum.

This is a lesson to you all. Send us your stuff and we'll run it, but we don't have the time to track you down. I also note they are not on the list of members of the NJ Theatre Alliance, which could have helped them in this area. I've put in a call to the Alliance and hope to get some further details, which I'll share with you.

In any event, sad news to share, and I would love to get some comments, be they memories of past Forum shows or opinions on why they didn't make it. So speak up, all you theater fans. I know you want to be heard.

1 comment:

~L said...

Hi, I was wondering if you have any contact information for the owner of this theatre. I am restoring a theatre in south jersey and would like to contact anyone with information!!
thanks for any help :)

laurenve4@hotmail.com