Sunday, October 14, 2007

To "Tartuffe" or not to "Tartuffe"

Still writing my review of "Henry VI: Blood and Roses."

Here's the early draft:

"!"

But the reason I'm jumping in here is to share some interesting buzz coming up from Princeton.
I'm friendly with a lot of the other critics and we usually gaggle, especially at the big openings, where the crowd of us can get pretty big. And last night, virtually every one of them asked me if I had seen "Tartuffe," because they didn't see me at Friday's press opening.

And all of them said, "You're lucky. It was awful." And I mean all of them. With the rolling of the eyes and the smirk and the whole magilla.

My response to most was, "well, did you like his (director Daniel Fish, who definitely has some interesting ideas) "Hamlet"? And they all said no. I said, "well, I did," to which they said, "well, then maybe you might like this." Again with the eye rolling and the smirking and the whole magilla.

Ouch! Still haven't got that one on the schedule, but I'm still hoping to go.

They can't scare me off.

No comments: