Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Insomnia

Anyone else out there who cannot sleep? It's 1:30 a.m. and it's just one of those nights when neither side of the pillow feels right. Change of seasons, perhaps? Or is it other changes howling in the wind that draw me from my rest?

Always a good time to write. Have I shared with you my own playwrighting projects? One is a dramedy based on my experiences as a caddy. There's a job where you deal with some serious social extremes, from the rich and privileged that you spend four or five hours toting their bags, balls and sticks, assisting them in their efforts to minimize the exercise they presumably are on the course for in the first place. At the opposite end are the caddy lifers, the "caddy bums," who hitch a ride to the course, take a loop, get paid and then hitch a ride to the nearest gin mill. Remember, my perspective is that of a middle class kid just trying to earn money for college.

The other is a little more abstract, a satire about, to put it simply, a guy who invents instant water.

I'm nothing if not versatile.

Did I mention I shot a 43 on the back nine the other day? Very proud of that. I can still shoot my age if I quit after 11, maybe 12 holes.

Still can't sleep. You'd think I was a Mets fan or something.

Got the press release for "The Sunshine Boys" coming up at George Street Playhouse with Jack Klugman and Paul Dooley. Fine actors both. I got to interview Klugman last year when he was at GSP for "Value of Names." Very sweet man. I mentioned my father also had survived throat cancer and he wanted to know all about it, and was sad to hear my dad eventually passed. Then he laid out his world travel plans following his stay in New Brunswick, despite a recurrence of his own cancer.

Obviously his health has improved since then, and I'm grateful for that. Obviously he doesn't need the money, particularly the money GSP can afford to pay, but he's looking forward to reviving the play on the 20th anniversary of doing it with Tony Randall. He still speaks reverently of his former "Odd Couple" foil.

He also made some funny observations about the CSI series and similar crime procedure dramas, noting that in his seven or so years on "Quincy," "we never actually showed an autopsy." No surprise that he found the graphic gore favored by these shows to be in bad taste.

Just thinking about that conversation gives me a glow. Think I'll try and turn it into 40 winks.

Did I mention the 43 on the back nine?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey,

I have this great idea for a play. IT involves a College Ave fraternity, a girl working her way through college, a 55 gallon drum of vaseline...oh wait, that's been done already!

William Westhoven said...

Keep it clean, there Chris-tal. but your comment does beg the question: How do you spell relief?