Saturday, June 23, 2007

Theater Rocks at College of St. Elizabeth

Friday night, I attended the final preview of the Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey's annual outdoor production at the Greek Theatre on the campus of the College of St. Elizabeth in the Convent Station section of Morris Township.

Always one of my favorite theater nights of the year, although for the first time, my wife and I did not engage in our preshow picnic ritual, which is part of the fun here.

I'll file a Review Preview of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" probably tomorrow, but one of the reasons I went to the preview was to attend the New Jersey Theatre Alliance's Theatre Rocks event. Finally met Alliance marketing associate Maris Smith, one of those people I talk to all the time on the phone but never meet in person (that happens a lot in my business). She explained that Theatre Rocks is designed to encourage young professionals to attend the theater, which, demographically, this group does not do often. The enticement, beyond a good show at a reasonable price, was a wine-and-cheese reception after the show, where folks could network and meet the cast.

I was introduced to a man from Lincoln Park who seemed to be the perfect target audience--a thirtysomething member of another young professional group that turned him on to this event. He told Maris he's mainly a sports fan and had never been to a play in his life.

Arranged to speak with him after the show, and both he and his companion (leaving the names and details out as requested; Jersey Stages is a user-friendly blog, and I was just hunting for opinion, not attribution) loved the show.

Both of them were enamored with the fairy costumes, which were colorful, Cirque du Soliel-style eclectic. The lady commented that she wasn't expecting something quite so elaborate, but I was more surprised by the man's unique perspective.

"Puck reminded me of the pro wrestler the Ultimate Warrior, which is what I would be home watching if I was not here," he said.

Huh?

"You gotta watch your WWE," he told me.

I wonder what the director and the costume designer would make of that! I checked and he's got a point, although some steroids might be needed to pump Puck up to Warrior level.

Anyway, I'll tell you this much. It was a big crowd that also included lots of kids, most of whom stayed with the show till the very end. After, I overheard some interesting conversations between the young professional theater rookies, many of whom were surprised to learn this was a professional show. So, obviously, Theatre Rocks makes a lot of sense, and this one may well have recruited some essential young blood to the pleasures of New Jersey regional theater. certainly went home both entertained and educated.

More Theatre Rocks events willbe scheduled throughout the year, although you may have to be patient since so many theaters are dark this time of year. In the meantime, the Alliance Web site is a good place to see what's happening, and learn more about how to distinguish the community theaters in your area from the professionals, along with what the respective professional companies specialize in.

Give them a click at http://njtheatrealliance.org/

Off to a tiki party--we'll talk more tomorrow. I'll give away one more thing about the show before I go: it includes the first onstage wedgie I've ever witness on a professional stage.

Always leave 'em wanting more, that's the Jersey Stages motto.

No comments: