Monday, June 25, 2007

I went down to the Crossroads

A quick note, followed by a cut and paste release, as I try to catch up on old business.

Following is release of particular interest to Central Jersey patrons of the arts. And a while back, I promised some people at Crossroads that I would work harder to spread their message.

It's the least I can do, given their cofounder, Ricardo Khan, was my first acting teacher at Rutgers back in the 1970s (I'm sure he made more of an impression on me than I on him!). And when I first began writing about theater back in the early 1990s, I was fortunate to see Crossroads functioning at its Tony-winning peak. I also learned quite a lot through my dealings with them, some of which came through a fascinating phone call I received from Lynda Gravatt, the fine actress who I believe was speaking as a dramaturg at the time ... and had a thing or two to tell me about one of my reviews.

Remind me to blog about that encounter sometime. I know, I'm teasing, but as I told you up front, I'm very busy and I'm trying to catch up.

And I just love to tease.

Anyway, their subsequent struggles (mainly financial) were well-documented, but they seem to be making steady progress, at least artistically. Perhaps with some help, we can help them spread the word.

The following also notes the work of Plainfield artist Alonzo Adams, and his longtime connection to Crossroads, which I was unaware of. It's an interesting story, and a good one. So give it a read and give them a look-see. I for one promise to review all their mainstage shows next year.


Crossroads Theatre Company is presenting an exhibit of art works by internationally renowned Plainfield artist Alonzo Adams on Sunday July 1 from 3:00-6:00 PM at Crossroads Theatre. The event includes a complimentary reception, jazz, and a preview of the 2007-2008 Theatre Season. Attendees can purchase Season Subscriptions at a discount. The highlight of the afternoon will be the auction of an original painting by Alonzo Adams to benefit Crossroads Theatre Company.

The Crossroads event is being hosted by Board Vice Chair Monica Weeks and Allen McGriff, owner of Onyx Hair Salon in New Brunswick. Alonzo Adams and his wife Cydnie have a long history with Crossroads Theatre Company. Cydnie worked at the old Crossroads building from 1980 through the start of the 1984-85 season. She returned in the early 1990's to help out with the computer systems. Alonzo and Cydnie had their first date at Crossroads in 1993. As Cydnie reminisces, "This arts event holds a bit of nostalgia for us. Alonzo and I are looking forward to it and being back at Crossroads." This may be one of the last opportunities to attend an Alonzo Adams art exhibit in the area as the family will be relocating to North Carolina.

Born in Harlem, Alonzo Adams attended the Ducret School of the Arts in Plainfield and received a B.F.A. from Rutgers University, Mason Gross School of the Arts in 1981. His evocative genre paintings of urban Black life hang in the collections of Bill Cosby, Andrew Young, the Reverend Jesse Jackson, Earl Graves, Maya Angelou, Patti Labelle, Jasmine Guy, Eddie Murphy and Senator Bill Bradley among others. An early admirer and supporter of Alonzo's artistic career was Bill Cosby who offered him a fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania where he earned a Masters of Fine Arts in 1991. Alonzo's works could be seen on the walls of the Huxtable home in The Cosby Show.

Alonzo Adams has become increasingly popular with collectors in the professional sports world, especially the National Basketball Association. He credits Alonzo Mourning for opening up the athletic world to his art work when Mourning attended a show at Howard University hosted by Dr. Maya Angelou. His ever increasing list of notables includes current and former stars like Stephon Marbury, Jayson Williams, Charles Oakley, Ray Allen, Kenny Anderson, Tim Hardaway, Zeke Mowatt, Patrick Ewing and Juwan Howard.

Alonzo Adams’ work has been featured in solo exhibitions at major public and private venues in the East, including Howard University and the Russell Senate Building in Washington , D.C. , Rutgers University , Dow Jones and Uptown Records in New York . He has received commissions from Merrill Lynch, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Motown, Ortho Pharmaceutical, Absolut Vodka and Black Enterprise, among others.

SUMMARY:
Event: Exhibit of Alonzo Adams artwork , Sun. July 1, 3:00-6:00 PM
Admission: Free, Jazz and Reception, Auction of original painting to benefit Crossroads Theatre Company, Season Subscriptions for purchase
Location: Crossroads Theatre, 7 Livingston Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Thank you for your interest in and support of Crossroads Theatre Company.
Please visit the website at www.CrossroadsNB.com

No comments: